Sunday, August 18, 2013

Western Style Korean Wedding

Bazaam! Happy Sunday folks!

Did you see my most recent pic on Instagram? Its a peek into the super nice wedding reception we were at the other day.

We went to Steve's friends brothers wedding lol (there's probably some grammatical errors in there lol) I think about 100 people attended and it said on the invitation that it started at 5PM, which is probably the worst time to have it since it was downtown on a Friday.

 Where we found out which table we were at

So we got there at about 4:40PM (early of course) and we thought there would be tons of people there already... but no we were literally like the first people there.

 The wedding was at the Vancouver Club in the Georgian Room (I think..)
This is the lounge/ceremony area

 The ceremony area

 Pretty fancy right? (wasn't too fond of the carpet lol)

People didn't start showing up until like 6PM so the ceremony was late -____-' (started at 6:45PM) and I was one of like 4/5 non-Korean people and the whole ceremony was in Korean lol, so I was confused the whole time.

 Ceremony time

 The Bride

The bride had difficulty walking in that dress lol. I think it was a rental and it was too long for her plus she had high heels on too that didn't help her at all >.< so wherever she went someone had to hold it up or she would have to lift it.

 Pretty uneventful ceremony (cause I don't understand Korean lol)

This is all I care about LOL

I barely ate anything earlier so I was STARVING lol I got drunk off of that one drink (red wine with champagne) hahaha

Time for Hors D'oeuvres!
This one was a teeny tiny salmon thing.. lol I ate probably like 8 of these haha

Little shrimp tempura thing (I had a lot of these too)

Vegetarian Spring Roll
(probably the best thing I ate since it was hot and not luke warm)

Snuck into the reception hall before anyone else could get there to take a pic LOL

They even had a harp player (how fancy! lol)

We were the first people to sign the guest book lol
They put their pre-wedding photos there too 
Apparently its a Korean thing (Asian thing?) to take super nice editorial style wedding photos >.<

Very nice center pieces

I didn't get to eat any cake T_T lol

The wedding couple and party get to sit underneath that big canopy thing

I think at Ashley's wedding they gave jelly beans as wedding favors?
The macarons tasted funny.. lol

Crab cake appetizer! It was sooo good!
I generally like my crab cake a little crispier throughout, not too soft at the bottom

The Prime rib was eh.. lol
We didn't get a choice on what we got as an Entree
I thought the edges tasted really burnt and the vegetables were overcooked but whatever free meal lol

The Dessert was so good!
It was like a mango lavender panna cotta with a coconut cookie thing
Steve thought it was too sweet (he hates cakes in general but not candies >.< lol)

**********

A little background on the wedding couple (from what I heard from the grooms brother, juicy details! lol) the bride is about 5 years older than the groom and her parents were pressuring her to get married since she's 30+ so this was actually a rushed wedding (we got a last minute invite like a few weeks ago, plus looks damn nice for a rushed wedding!) I think she graduated with an arts degree and he told me that she doesn't really work. 

Apparently most friends were surprised to hear they were engaged since well they are very dependent on their parents (to the point where the grooms brother was frustrated at them). The groom was going to school for engineering (I think) but then he decided he didn't like it and quit and decided not to continue his education and now works at his moms restaurant. 

Their mom was paying rent for two places the grooms place and her place and so to save money they moved in with his mom and brother so now there's four of them in one apartment. What do they have planned now? Who knows the groom is still pretty young (like 26) so he doesn't want to have kids for a while plus they're not in a stable place to have them.

Something bugged me at the wedding. They're not really affectionate lol. I mean yeah they held hands but most of the time the groom was off chatting to friends and kind of ignoring his bride and when they kissed, the groom did it so quickly that it seemed like he was embarrassed. I told Steve "It doesn't really look like they love each other that much since they're not so affectionate" he said "its the Korean way, their parents are there so they're not going to be affectionate" I was like wtf I'm gonna be all over my husband on our wedding day lol and if I end up marrying Steve (probably not lol) if he rejects me then I'll get a divorce the next day lol.

I have to say when I first met the groom I thought he was gay, no joke I literally asked Steve if he was gay lol and then I asked his brother afterwards to confirm that Steve wasn't lying to me LOL. He's just so feminine and flamboyant... lol I guess not since he married a woman! ;)

So people who have attended other Korean weddings, is it common not to show affection?


Don't Forget To:

Follow me on Twitter!

Email me at StylePop101@gmail.com for future posts!

Check out my Instagram @StylePop101

No comments:

Post a Comment